In operating as a successful port, the Company is committed to ensuring that its activities are conducted in a safe and ecologically sustainable manner with a high standard of environmental performance.
This will be achieved while ensuring that the needs of the wider community and the values attached to natural and physical resources are taken into account in carrying out its business.
The Company recognizes its environmental responsibilities and is committed to:
- Using best endeavours to prevent pollution and minimise the impact on the environment of port operations and those of other users and tenants as far as possible and within our control by means of a programme of continuous improvement.
- Implementing and developing an environmental management system which will provide a framework for the setting, monitoring and auditing of environmental objectives and targets.
- Making sure the Environmental Programme remains appropriate and performance is satisfactory by performing regular reviews that consult and involve employees, the local community, port users and other relevant organisations.
- Complying with applicable legislation, regulations, ESPO policy and guidance, and other standards to which we subscribe.
- Encouraging staff, contractors and port users to consider the environment in all their activities by developing systems of work that use resources more efficiently, use fewer harmful materials and reduce waste that cannot be re-used or recycled.
- Identifying potential risks and developing plans of preparedness to cope with any incident in the Port liable to cause environmental harm.
- Using all appropriate means of communication to publicise and promote this Statement and our continuing commitment to this policy for the benefit of existing and prospective customers and port users, and the wider stakeholders in the local community.